On November 22-23, the course of lectures “International Humanitarian Law” was held at the DAU. The study for diplomats was conducted by Rene Varka, Associate Professor of International Law at the School of Law of the University of Tartu, Estonia.
The following topics were discussed during the lectures:
- International humanitarian law, its principles, and its correlation with human rights law.
- The primary sources of international law governing international conflicts.
- Differences between the concepts of “war” and “armed conflict”.
- Means and methods of warfare.
- The difference between military and civilian objects, the status of prisoners of war, etc.
The event was held in cooperation between the DAU and the Estonian School of Diplomacy.