Task 1. Listen to the dialogue twice and write True (T) or False (F).
1. Tony’s manager feels excellent about his performance overall.
2. Tony needs to work on building relationships.
3. Tony was handling 11 calls last year.
4. Tonyis handling 7 calls this year.
5. The increase in customer service costs is 13% this year.
6. Tony’s manager offers 7% salary increase.
7. Tony feels about his performance review little disappointed.
II. USE OF ENGLISH
Task 1. Choose the correct answer A, B or C.
1. … usually cold in the North of the country.
2. Is your husband a diplomat? – No, he… .
3. Their daughter … International Relations.
4.I ..swimming in the pool.
A. don’t like
B. not like
C. doesn’t like
5. … country would you like to go on a business trip, Spain or Mexico?
6. We need to … a room in a hotel.
B. check in
7. My colleague went … Paris yesterday.
8. I like… historical films.
9. This is … restaurant in this town.
A. the most expensive
B. the more expensive
C. the expensivest
10. Which platform does the train …from?
11. Our meeting is … Tuesday.
12. I usually … to work by car, but today I … by undeground.
A. am going; go
B. go; go
C. go; am going
13. I… finish this report yesterday.
C. was able
14. I think she … participate in this conference.
B. is going to
15. Why …she … yesterday?
B. wasn’t …come
C. doesn’t … come
16. Last week he … a new car.
17. You … call them and discuss this issue.
18. I … abroad yet.
A. not been
C. haven’t been
19. We … this article two days ago.
A. have read
20. Do you … many photographs when you travel?
21. My sister is never … for meetings, she is very punctual.
C. on time
22. Could you … me some money, please. I’ll give it back tomorrow.
23. Is there … work for me? I have nothing to do now.
24. What … your colleague…at the moment?
C. does. .doing
Task 2. Complete the e-mail about a meeting using words from the table. There is ONE word you do NOT need to use.
|can’t B. meeting C. discuss D. presentation E. today F. talk G. soon|
I called Sara about our 25. … . She 26. …make it on Friday, but she can come 27. … at 4 p.m.
She is eager to 28. … our new project. Have you prepared the 29. … yet?
See you 30. …
Read about cultural differences below:
Cultural differences in business communication
There are big cultural differences between North American business people and business people in Europe and Asia when it comes to using the telephone and e-mail.
North Americans like e-mail more than they like the telephone. E-mail is a ‘one-way’ message. You can write an e-mail at any time. The person who receives the e-mail can read it later. This is convenient.
Another cultural difference is a voice mail. American executives will leave a message on a voice mail if there is no replay. European executives will, on the other hand, prefer two-way communication, such as a phone call or a face-to-face meeting. They don’t like to use voicemail. They prefer to call back later when they can have a conversation. And professionals in the Asia-Pacific region dislike one-way communication even more than the Europeans do.
What about telecommuting (working from home, but doing business by phone and e-mail)& Half of North American business people say they like working alone. Telecommuting is very common there. 59% of American business people telecommute at least once a month. Less than European workers do. They prefer to be in the office, working with their colleague’s face to face.
So be careful. If you’re working with people from other countries, try to understand their feeling about different types of telecommunication.
(from the Financial Times)
Task 1. Mark the following statements True (T) or False (F):
- People everywhere use e-mail in the same way. T/F
- North Americans prefer e-mail to the telephone. T/F
- Asians and Europeans think voicemail is very convenient. T/F
- An e-mail is an example of two-way communication. T/F
- Face to face communication in business is very important in Asia Pacific region. T/F
Task 2. Choose the correct word A, B or C to complete each sentence:
- Telecommunicating is more ____ in North America than in Europe.
- North Americans say they don’t mind working ____.
- in the office
- in Europe
- More than half of ___ business people telecommunicate every month.
Write an informal letter to your colleagues to celebrate your promotion (60-70 words).
|Why||Celebrate a promotion|
1. F 2. F 3. T 4. T 5. F 6. T 7. T
2. GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY\ USE OF ENGLISH
1.B 2.B 3.A 4.A 5.C 6.A 7.A 8.C 9.A 10.B 11.B 12.C 13.A 14.A 15.A 16.C 17.B 18.C 19.B 20.B 21.A 22.C 23.A 24.B 25.B 26.A 27.E 28.C 29.D 30.G
Key: 1F, 2T, 3F, 4F, 5F, 6A, 7B, 8A